At Home Learning for students in Kindergarten
Spend time reading a book every day. This can be a home reader or a book you have at home. Use the questions below to discuss the book.
- Who were the main characters in the book?
- Who was your favourite character and why?
- What was the problem in the story?
- What happened in the book?
- Did you see any sight words?
- How did the story make you feel and why?
Practice 3-5 sight words a day in different ways :
- Rainbow words - Write your words in rainbow colours
- Ghost Words - Write the word in white and shade over with a colour to reveal the word.
- Word Search - Find your words in books and magazines. Take a photo of what you find.
- Digital Words - Type your words onto the computer or iPad.
- Cut & Paste - Make your words using letters cut out from magazines.
Sight Word List
The following words are the necessary sight words that students in kindergarten should practice.
is, the, and, for, a, on, I, am, went, to, this, can, we, are, like, my, in, see.
Choose 3 activities to complete each day. The 3 activities should include 1 activitiy from each list (fine motor, maths and extra)
- Draw some shapes and cut hem out.
- Peg out the washing.
- Play with playdough.
- Paint shapes with water outside.
- Do a colouring in sheet.
- Go for a walk and draw what you see.
- Count the knives and forks when you get ready for a meal.
- Find shapes around the house and trace them with your finger.
- Find a group of objects and put them in order from tallest to shortest
- Play hide and seek with a toy and explain to a family member how to find it.
- Draw a picture of something you do at night and something you do during the day.
- Collect a group of objects and sort them into colours. Count how many in each group.
- Draw a family portrait to display in your house
- Go for a walk around your area. Take note of all the animals and insects you see along the way
- Help your family with the chores at your house. Wash the dishes, make your bed or even help cook a meal.
- Make your own cubby house.
- Play a board game with your family or friends
- Learn a new dance and teach it to a friend or sibling. There are lots on youtube!