At Home Learning for students in Stage 1
Spend time reading a book every day. This can be a home reader or a book you have at home. Use the questions below to discuss the book.
- Looking at the title and front cover, make a prediction about the text. Was your prediction right?
- Who was your favourite character and why?
- What was the problem in the story?
- What happened in the book?
- Did you learn any new words from this story, if so what?
- Choose two characters and compare. How are they different? How are they the same?
Practice your sight words in different ways. Each day choose a different task. Students can download their sight list by clicking on the link - PM Sight word Lists.
- Rainbow words - Write your words in rainbow colours
- Ghost Words - Write the word in white and shade over with a colour to reveal the word.
- Fancy words - Write your words using fancy handwriting.
- Alphabetical order - Write your words in alphabetical order.
- Cut & Paste - Make your words using letters cut out from magazines.
- Word Jumble - Mix up the letters in your words and put them back together
- Word Search - Find your words in books and magazines
- Build It - Build your words out of playdough or lego.
- Digital Words - Type your words onto the computer or iPad.
- Colour Code - Write your words in pen or pencil, Use blue for consonants and Red for Vowels (a, e, i, o. u)
Choose 3 activities to complete each day. 1 activity from each list. (writing, maths and extra)
- Write about your favourite holiday.
- Write a list of all the things in your house that start with /t/ and /s/.
- Write about your favourite television character.
- Write as many words as you can that rhyme with /hat/, /tin/, and /can/.
- Write about something you did this week.
- Write your own fairytale.
- Find or draw 5 objects that are heavier and lighter than a potato.
- Measure the length of objects in your house using your hands. How many hand long are they?
- (you could also use household items to measure like pasta or paperclips)
- Draw a colour or shape pattern. See if your friends or family can continue the pattern correctly.
- Using a packet of smarties make a graph of the different colours and how many there are of each colour.
- Make a sum using different coloured smarties.
- Draw a clock and label it with the time you go to bed and the time you wake up.
- Make a card for a friend.
- Help do some jobs around the house every day.
- Write or draw a picture of healthy foods.
- Write or draw the steps to keeping your hands clean.
- List or draw some activities you can do to stay fit and keep active.
- Create a poster to explain why it is important to recycle.
Project - continued
This term, Stage 1 students will be exploring the History topic: Technology from the Past. For this project, students are to research one piece of technology that has changed over time (e.g. Phones, computers, gaming, and entertainment). These questions could be asked to guide their research:
- What is the technology used for?
- How has it changed?
- How have the changes improved the technology?
- How does it help people?
The project may be presented in any form the students choose. Some examples include a PowerPoint presentation, Poster, Diorama, Speech etc.